I finally managed to get Apache CXF 2.2.6 and 2.1.9 released and out the door. In a lot of ways, this was a “big” release, not because of any cool or exciting new features, but due to the concerted effort of just “fixing bugs”. At the time I did the release build, there were 19 known “bugs” (couple more bugs have been logged since then), several of them blocked on third party fixes such as in JAXB and WSS4J. Getting down that low has been a giant effort for the entire CXF team. At one point about 4 months ago, we had almost 250 open bugs. Getting to the current level required a LOT of work on everyones part to dig through JIRA, write test cases, dig into with debuggers, etc… The result is definitely all positive. We’ve fixed a TON of bugs that have been outstanding for a very long time. I definitely encourage CXF users to update to 2.2.6.
While the push to reduce the bug count in CXF has been a very welcome and important step for CXF, it has detracted from the development of the new features and stuff for 2.3. 2.3 is definitely many months behind where I would have liked it to be. Now that the count is down to something reasonable and manageable, I’m really hoping to re-concentrate on getting 2.3 ready to ship. No promises though. 🙂